Saturday, July 26, 2008

Calling all decoraters & creative thinkers

Alright Ladies, start your brains. This is my soon (well maybe, but definitely hoping) to be circa 1975 kitchen. We can't afford to remodel as of yet, but I NEED to do something with it. I am hoping just adding my cute rooster stuff will make it better. It is just so dark. It actually looks better in these pictures. Any suggestions, ideas. You gotta love the space aged light over the kitchen table too. That I am so replacing!!

This is a close up of the barn wood. Kinda bulky and rough-not sure it will paint nicely. Oh and definitely getting rid of the rust colored,textured wall paper covering the soffit.

Nice, space light fixture. My MIL assures me this was cool in the 70's.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

I love the barn wood cupboards. I think I would paint the walls a brick red color. I think that would be really cute with your roosters. I have a cute chandelier over my table that would look so great in there. We got it at home depot and it's like 5 different lights will little brown shades over the top of the lights and then I put berry wreaths around the bottom. I don't know if that makes sense at all, I'll try to post a link on my blog. How fun! I love decorating!

Julie said...

OOO Lynn, I want that chandelier for the dining room. Which is kinda next to it. The pictures really do make it look so much nicer. Hopefully once I do 'my thing' I can see how it looks. It'll have to do until we can remodel.

Oh and thanks you made me feel a little better about them :)

Oh and I LOVE red.....

Mary said...

You could repaint the wall above the cabinets a lighter color. That might help brighten it up. I love the country look :)

Robyn said...

I just live with my awful cabinets, I am secretly plotting to rip off all of the veneer when J is not looking, maybe deer hunting.
I'd paint the walls first and see how you like them, switch up the knobs/hinges, then paint them. you can probably just run a rotary sander over them to knock down the roughness.

Julie said...

I am hoping they turn out ok. The cabinet in one of the bathrooms is also the same wood-so I plan to re-do that first and see how it goes. The barn wood is everywhere!! Even in the family room. It'll be a long time before it's perfect but we'll be there forever!!!!

A Day in My Life said...

I would say paint the cupboards. My sister had dark cupboards like yours and she painted them white. It will make your kitchen look bigger. Dark colors make a room look smaller. I would suggest putting up a rooster border above the cupboards or paint it and put up some rooster plates or decorations since that is your kitchen theme.