Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kindergarten vs Fall Baby

So funny, when I first sent Emily to preschool...I was like "if she's ready, she's ready. If she's not, she's not. But now I am so on the fence. I have no doubt in my mind that she is ready and will do fine. But our town has full day kindergarten 9-3pm. But she can go to preschool again and her teacher believes it couldn't hurt and she would only benefit from another year to mature (how mature can a 4 yr old get?) We had Kindergarten orientation today, I went just to go. She was fine, she isn't shy or afraid. She would have stayed there all day. She doesn't even look over her head to see where I am. I worry about friends, she made friends and they will be going on...she will make new friends but??? On the other hand she is perfectly ok with going to preschool again. I guess I should just follow her lead. I hate having the decision....we are one of a handful of states that still give the option 4 by Dec 31st is eligible for K.

What did you do? Do you have a fall baby?

5 comments:

Heather said...

check with the the principal. our town screens each child that may be coming in at a 4 year old turning 5 before the end of december and helps you decide as parents if she is ready. i definately thing she is ready though.

Dizzy Vizzy said...

Both my brother and I are fall babies - he waited a year and entered k-garten at 5 going on 6, I was 4 going on 5. Principal said that it's a bigger deal for boys - he would have been the smallest kid and possibly bullied. It just sucked when all my friends were driving age/drinking age WAY ahead of me.

Amanda said...

My eldest boy started primary school when he was 4 and a half. But our school system is different to yours. It can be a difficult choice to make ~ but you will make the right one.
love,
Amanda x

April said...

I can't remember how old I was, however, when kindergarten was over they informed my mom that I was no mature/emotionally ready for 1st grade so I had to go to transitional. It sucked becuz I watched all my friends move on without me.

If you THINK she is ready, I say trust your gut, however, if you are not 100% what's the harm in her doing preschool again, ya know?

Robyn said...

We will have that problem, I am for just sending her if she is ready. J on the other hand wants to wait a year so she is the biggest. Must be a guy thing.